Sunday, May 2, 2010

05-02-2010 Mazzy Star

I know it's only May but it feels more like a summer day in mid August here in Philly.  The temperatures are climbing and the humidity is evident in the air.  Yet I made the most of it this weekend escaping the oppressive heat of the concrete jungle for the more soothing breezes of the trees in Bartram's Gardens.  It happens to be the oldest botanical garden in the United States.  Nestled in a neighborhood I've never been in before in Southwest Phila, it's just far enough off the beaten path to seem rural but close enough to still catch a glimpse of the city skyline.  The day I went there was a plant sale and Yards was giving away refreshing beer on the premises.

Post garden tour was a visit to Franklin Fountain where I enjoyed some old fashion ice cream-always a good choice on a hot day.  Following that, I made my way to the Fleisher Art Memorial for an art opening of Tetsugo Hyakuttake, Scott Kip (photo featured above) and Brenna K Murphy.  The photograph I've added is just a glimpse of this incredibly crafted art installation that greatly utilized depth perception and voyeurism.  It will be running through the end of June, so I highly recommend you get yourself over there and have a look.

I'm feeling a dreamy summer jam for today, as per afternoon discussions over ice cream.  Mazzy Star.


2 comments:

Joel said...

I love Scott Kip's stuff. fun fact- I went to school with him.

silverblackmetallic said...

his work was incredible- truly a well executed exhibit. did you make it over there for the opening?

and EVERYONE I know went to UARTS!!!